Friday, May 23, 2008

gods

I have been a bad mommy the past couple of days. Yesterday, I had a cold and didn't really feel like doing anything but yell at the kids and try to keep them busy. Thankfully, Jaden had softball last night and it got us out of the house. Today, we have MOPS at the park! We can't wait. Although, it is raining out right now. Sunday, we will head to church and to celebrate my dad's birthday. That will be fun. Things should be good the next couple of days.
I did come to a realization last night. Our pastor talks a lot about having other gods, things that take the place of God. A lot of people find that to be money. I guess I do somewhat, but I was thinking I was pretty good in that area. I didn't think I had other gods. But, as I went to bed last night, it popped in my head what my other god is........
FOOD.
Sounds funny, huh? Well, I love to eat. I love all different kinds of food. I really don't care if it is healthy or not. It doesn't matter if I am hungry or full, I will still eat. I would probably choose going out to eat over reading my bible anytime. So, for the next few weeks, I have decided to set my bible in my kitchen and instead of reaching for a snack, I will reach for the bible and read something. That will be so much more uplifting than any food. (well, I am hoping I can get to that point.) I really hate admitting that, but I felt the need to. I am sure a lot of others deal with this same issue (the obesity rate in America is very high!!!).
Ah, now that that is out, I can go about my day.
Have a wonderful weekend everyone, and still keep the Chapman family in your prayers.

5 comments:

Ry said...

I have a hard time controlling myself too. Especially in the evenings. I make myself hungry by thinking about all the things I would eat if I was hungry. Then i eat. Even if I'm not hungry....ugh.

Kim said...

That is an awesome idea!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I definitely battle this area constantly! Love the idea to put your Bible in your kitchen!

Connie said...

Oh, that sounds like I could've written every word. So true. What a creative idea for battling the problem. Keep us posted on how that goes!

The Chapmans continue to be in our prayers as well.

Soul Pockets said...

I feel the same way. Gluttony is my downfall. It is a good idea to keep a bible in the kitchen. I think I may have to try that.